Saturday, March 13, 2010

End of Days

I'm not a "End of Days" type of worrier. I figure what will be, will be. That being said, is anyone else noticing the number of earthquakes happening recently? Let's check them off- Haiti, Chile, Taiwan, Sumatra, Indonesia. All within, What? 2 months or so? I'm thinking we're going to get a new continent soon. Or maybe find ourselves missing a few areas of current continents. I don't know what's going on or what it means. It just seems to me that the world has got an itch it's trying to scratch and we're getting earthquakes as a result.

Whatever is going on, I wish it would stop because now that I am a Mom, I find myself worrying for the babies - and by babies, I mean all children-in these countries. I wish I could make it all better for them.

1 comment:

Terry Orie said...

Now that you have the Mommy-dar version of ra-dar (and other -dars)maybe you are way more sensitive and alert to this type of news. Found the following on the USGS site (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqarchives/year/eqstats.php):

The USGS estimates that several million earthquakes occur in the world each year. Many go undetected because they hit remote areas or have very small magnitudes. The NEIC now locates about 50 earthquakes each day, or about 20,000 a year.

As more and more seismographs are installed in the world, more earthquakes can be and have been located. However, the number of large earthquakes (magnitude 6.0 and greater) has stayed relatively constant. See: Are Earthquakes Really on the Increase? (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/topics/increase_in_earthquakes.php)

From Martian Child (which I watched last night): "... right now, you and me here, put together entirely of atoms, sitting on this round rock with a core of liquid iron, held down by this force that seems to trouble you, called gravity, all the while spinning around the sun at 67,000 miles an hour and whizzing through the milkyway at 600,000 miles an hour in a universe that very well may be chasing its own tail at the speed of light; And admist all this frantic activity, fully cognisant of our own eminent demise - which is our own pretty way of saying we all know we're gonna die - We reach out to one another. Sometimes for the sake of entity, sometimes for reasons you're not old enough to understand yet, but a lot of the time we just reach out and expect nothing in return. Isn't that strange? Isn't that weird? ... "

You are one great Mom!