Monday, August 3, 2009

Occasional Indulgence

For the past several years, Matt, his brother and a few friends have taken off for a long weekend of fun in Las Vegas. I call it "The Boy Weekend" and this past weekend was it. Matt was surprised that I supported him going this year with a baby due in 2 months, but my thinking was, why not?
  • So far so good in the pregnancy and there's no way to know what or if anything will happen,
  • we don't know what next year will bring us (we've always handled this trip on a year by year basis),
  • I believe that boys need some time to be boys away from their significant others and
  • I enjoy this weekend too.

You see, I get to sleep in the middle of a king size bed by myself, I get unchallenged control of the remote, there's no "we have to do" or "we have to get" and - this is my favorite part - I get to rediscover all my favorite comfort foods.

I can cook and yes, I probably should, but I'm not going to. I'm tired at the end of the day and I just don't feel like it. I won't even mention the fact that I'm completely spoiled with Matt making dinner for me most nights. I can readily admit this.

So, what are my favorite comfort foods? You know what they are - the ones that got you through the first years out on your own, got you through college, the things you grabbed after a night of drinking, the only thing you could afford or knew how to make yourself. Mine were Kraft Mac & Cheese, Totino's party pizza, chicken strips and last but not least, the good ol' PBJ.

Are they good? Debateable.
Are they good for me? Probably not.
Are they still yummy in a nostalgic way? Absolutely!

I love them and look forward to them every year - for just a few days. Because that's all I can handle.

What are your secret comfort foods?

4 comments:

Becky said...

I get two nights to myself this week and look forward to NOT cooking. SWEET! This week's "comfort foods" will likely be cereal, frozen pizza or leftover icing on graham crackers. Healthy eating at its finest!

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

Hamburger helper, grilled cheese and pasta with butter and parmesan cheese.

I am so ashamed.

Jen said...

Next time the boys have their weekend (of which I don't think I'll partake in- I can't hang with them in Vegas), I'm coming to visit you. We have a lot of the same comfort food interests. But with the PB&J - grill it. Takes it to a whole other level- and I thank my grandma for that.

Lumpyheadsmom said...

TOTINO'S PARTY PIZZA!

God I love you.