Monday, April 14, 2008

Brothers

Sarah and I are half way through our trek from Virginia to Florida - somehow, April has creeped up on us and I'm told that my wedding is in 5 days. We've stopped in South Carolina for the evening and so far, the kids have been fantastic. Really, who has almost 4-years olds that can ride 7-8 hours in car seats this well behaved? Someone remind me to take parenting classes from Sarah and Gabe at a later date.

I will tell you one thing, traveling by car is hard on the diet. I'm so full right now, I'm not sure I'll be able to eat again. I'm pretty sure the pitcher of Sangria from the restaurant next door hasn't helped. Ugh.

Anyway, on with the real topic of this post...

The Ushers

My family is extremely important to me and I knew the moment Matt and I decided to get married I wanted all of my siblings involved. So, I asked my three younger brothers to be our Ushers. I’ll introduce them to you now.

Michael, the oldest of the three, will be 24 years old at our wedding. He is 11 years younger than I am. He is quiet, but not exactly shy. He is strong willed, smart and very capable. He is a great father of three handsome boys, Michael Jr.(5), Timothy (2) and Kyle (1).

His talent with mechanics absolutely amazes me. From the time he was very young, he was taking things apart and putting them back together. Trying to figure out how it worked. That desire to ‘figure it out’ only intensified as he grew up. As a young teen, he was finding things around the house to fix or put a motor on. I remember he built a working chainsaw from old parts and motors he found around the house. As he moved into his late teens/early twenties, he was taking apart car engines and putting them back together. He’s the guy I call when my car is making that weird noise. He’s worked on all of the cars in the family at least once, probably more.


Baron is in the middle, born when I was 14 years old. He will be 21 years old at our wedding. That age - when you begin to figure it out, make better choices for yourself, and really start to grow up. He is also a great father of a handsome boy, Braeden (2).

He is nothing short of a clown. He loves to play, joke and laugh. He’s extremely quick witted and always has a smart remark ready to fly. I’m convinced he could be the next Jim Carrey. Our Mom used to spend a ridiculous amount of time in the deans office at his school because he was always up to something. She used to call me and say, “Guess what your brother did today?” I was scared to ask. He is also the salesman of the family. I swear that boy could sell a bridge over the ocean in Nebraska.

Baron lived in Georgia until recently and every now and then he would get a few days off and decide to drive down for a quick, random visit. Just off the fly. I never know when he’s going to call and tell me he’s an hour away from my house and wants to know if it’s ok if he stops by. I love to be around Baron, his love of life never ceases to amaze me.

John is the youngest. He will be 17 years old at our wedding. Yep, that’s right, the last teenager in our family. John and I are the most alike. If you haven’t already noticed, we have the same cheeks. Those chubby cheeks that people like to pinch, the ones that will never allow us to grow up. We also seem to think alike. He calls me often for help with his homework and gets frustrated like I used to because, “they are teaching slower than I learn”. I get it. If the teacher couldn’t keep my attention, no matter how hard I’d try to focus, I would eventually drift off. I see those same frustrations in him. He is very bright and talented and ready for the world to keep up with him, not vice versa.

At a young age, John took to dancing. I remember, the first time I saw him on stage, I was amazed. He had such a great stage presence. He didn’t look nervous at all, he was completely comfortable up there. He left dancing a year or so ago and is now into karate and every time I check, he’s got a new belt or two.

Over the past couple of years, I’ve watched him quickly grow up and turn into his own person, which is odd for me when I think that he was born 1 month before I graduated high school. What makes it worse is that Matt and I just recently gave him his first car - I’m not old enough to do that and he’s not old enough to drive. Right?

I’m very proud of all my brothers. They’ve all had their own bumps in the road and troubles, but they’ve overcome, learned from it and moved on. They are all very different from each other but they are all wonderful brothers to have. I’ve watched them grow up from boys to men (not to be confused with the boy band) and I couldn’t be more proud to have them as brothers.

1 comment:

Matt Landeen said...

You've got to find a better pic of John. That one is completely unflattering. Oh, and I just realized that "ceremony" under the Wedding Links on the left has an extra e at the end.

Love you,
Matt