Saturday, August 2, 2008

A Brief Visit

WOOT!

I know what some of you are thinking. I know that some of you don't have the relationship that I have with my husband's parents. I admit, I am very fortunate. I love my in-laws. They are fantastic, wonderful, supportive people and I'm happy they visited.

And no, I'm not buttering them up to ask for anything. I just really like them that much.
The funny thing is, they were only here a few hours. They are on their way to Russia for a few weeks and happened to have a 7 hour lay-over at the airport. Since we are so close, we picked them up and were able to show them our apartment, around town, the local battlefield park and have a yummy lunch before taking them back to the airport.

It was good to see them. Although after they left, I began to feel isolated and far from home. I know as Matt and I settle, make friends and plant roots, we will begin to think of this as home too. I'm still having a difficult time adjusting though.
Speaking of missing home - Matt and I finally were able to get library cards here now that we've got our drivers licenses. We were both pretty excited as we both like to read, the library is within walking distance from our apartment and it looks all new and pretty.
Alas, it sucks. Seriously.

It is all of those things I've mentioned but finding any book thats on my "TO READ" list is a whole lot of wishful thinking. We are missing our old little local library in Florida that always had what we were looking for. This one - not so much. If they do have it, they only have 1 or 2 copies that gets transferred from library to library and have a waiting list a mile long. We are very disappointed. Oh well, we will have to make do - I'm sure theres a book swap store around here somewhere, and I'll be raiding Sarah's books too.
(Oh Sarah, FYI, I stole Fight Club. K?)


Speaking of books. We wandered into a big chain bookstore today and it dawned on me...books have gotten expensive! I've bought plenty of books at a chain before - these prices are not new to me. I just very suddenly recalled books being so much cheaper. Didn't little ol' paperbacks use to cost $5 or something? Huh?
Hmph. Stoooopid library.

2 comments:

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

Come steal whatever you want!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your kind words about our visit! We enjoyed it too, and we're very happy that you're our daughter-in-law!

Love you 2!