Wednesday, September 23, 2009

SAHD

Several weeks ago, I read an article* about the growing trend of couples chosing for the man to be a Stay at Home Husband/Father. There are plenty of articles out there these days as we see more husbands taking on this role however, this article in particular caught my attention as it stated that many professional women lose interest in and respect for their stay at home husbands over time, resulting in divorce.

My first thought was, "How can you say that? This trend hasn't been happening that long."
My second thought was, "Really?"
My third thought was, "Those people are Nuts."
My final thought was, "If it doesn't work for you, make a different decision before you give up on your marriage. Geeeeez!"

I put the article down with the intention to forget it however, it continued to spring into my mind. Today was one of those days that I thought about this article. See, Matt and I have made a similar decision. Though he works, its free lance and he spends most days at home or working from home. He will be the primary caretaker for Stella, and honestly, me with minimal outside care needed. This being said, here's how our week has been so far:

Monday: Matt got up with me in the morning and made my lunch as I am perpetually running late since entering these final weeks of pregnancy and dinner was on the stove when I got home.

Tuesday: Again, Matt made my lunch in the morning, brought my water bottle to me at work (which I forgot, again, I blame the pregnancy), cleaned/vacuumed the house, made dinner in the evening.

Wednesday: Rinse and repeat - my lunch had a homemade chocolate chip cookie in it (Yum!)and the house smelled wonderful when I walked the door this evening

So now I think back to that article and I think, "WHAT? REALLY?!". I don't know how a woman - a professional, educated woman - can not respect a man that can and will take care of her - in a domesticated sense. It makes my head hurt. I love the mess out of him. I have nothing but respect and appreciation for him and I just really really really like him. A lot.

So Honey, I thank you, for taking care of me, keeping track of me and keeping up with the house and cooking. I will try not to be jealous when your attention is diverted, very shortly, from me to Miss Stella. I wouldn't want anyone else in the world taking care of her or us.

*Of course, I can not locate it right now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have both chosen "keepers"!

We can't wait to see the 3 of you next Wednesday. If you get the chance to have Stella before that time, don't wait for us to arrive!

Our prayers are with you!

Dad L 0:)

Unknown said...

You are both so lucky to have each other! That seriously brought tears to my eyes! I think it's great that Matt is able to stay home with Stella and that you are both so appreciative of each other!

Lumpyheadsmom said...

I've gotta think these women don't respect the position of stay-home parent. They don't appreciate the value in it, won't do it themselves, and don't respect the men in their lives for taking the job. I'm generalizing, of course, but that's my guess.

Obviously, I don't understand it either.

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

That is crazy talk.

Or maybe they just don't know the same dads that I know. Most of the fathers I see (stay-at-home) or otherwise are fabulous caregivers and dads.