Sunday, November 4, 2007

I Never Said Yes

I've been asked many times, "How did he propose?" or "Did he get down on one knee?", etc. Apparently, a lot of women have this romantic set of requirements that must be met for there to be a 'proper' proposal of marriage. I am not one of those girls. I like the way things happened. How it all fell into place. It's real, shows who we really are and, I think, makes for a much more interesting story.

Periodically, over a span of several months, Matt would inform me that he really wants to have kids. (Let's face it, we aren't spring chickens anymore) My response was always, "I'm not having kids until I'm married." and that would usually be the end of it. I'm not saying Matt wanted children before marriage, I think this was his way of finding out how I felt about the whole idea.

See, I was never one who saw myself as married or having children. I can't explain why, maybe it was a fear of commitment, or the fact that I have such younger brothers/sister, or maybe I wanted to get my career started. I don't know. It could be anything or a mix of things. Either way, I always said "I don't want to get married" and I felt completely comfortable with that decision - Matt knew this.

Finally, this conversation happened:

Matt: I want to have kids.
Me: I'm not having kids until I'm married.
Matt: Why?
Me: Why not?
Matt: Then we should do that.
Me: Do what?
Matt: Get married.
Me: Fine.

That was the end of it until a week or so later. We were leaving a local Mexican restaurant where we meet up with some friends every Monday night for Margaritas and Tacos. Matt was driving us home because the Margaritas were very tasty that night and I had a, um, couple. He quietly looked at me and said, "I'm going to pay off the TV soon, we should start shopping for rings." I replied, happily, dreamily, "Ooooohhhhh-kay."

That's it. That's how this whole wedding got started.

We shopped for rings together a month or so later and picked out a gorgeous pear shaped diamond engagement ring. When we picked up my ring, he put it on my finger and asked me to marry him. (at the insistance of the salesperson helping us) I looked at him and said, "Just this once, dear."

I always told him I'd never say "Yes."

1 comment:

Reba said...

My der-der is gettin' hitched!!! ~cabbage patch, cabbage patch~
Hehehehe...........