Thursday, November 1, 2007

A Long, Long Time Ago

It's obvious that I've started this blog in the middle of planning our wedding. So, I guess I should back up a bit and tell you how this whole thing got started, huh?

From the beginning, Maestro!

Me, 2001: I was a single, 28 year old, pharmacy tech living by myself and going out on the weekends to my favorite pub (O'Briens, aka. OB's) with my favorite guy friends. We were a rowdy group ranging in age from mid-twenty-something to 50-ish. All guys, except me. I can't tell you how or when I got sucked into this group, but it was some of the best times of my life. We had fun. Lots of it; as much of it as we could handle and then we went for more. We were all sworn bachelors and (1) bachelorette at that point in our lives and had no intention of making any changes in that aspect. I always felt safe around these guys and knew, if I needed anything, at any time, they would be there. I still feel that way and I still love them to pieces.

Him, 2001: A single, 28 year old, college student/grill cook living with his brother and a friend. He was always with his group of friends going to his favorite pub every weekend too. It just happened to be the same as my favorite pub.


Spring, 2001: One evening, standing outside the Tiki hut at our favorite pub I saw this really cute, really tall, shaggy-haired guy. I couldn't take my eyes off of him. Did I mention he's tall? Oh! My! Word! How I love a tall man! My group of guys knew immediately that he had caught me eye. It was obvious.

I noticed, over several weekends, that this young man was staring at me too and would quickly look away every time I looked in his direction. I knew that I would have to make or attempt to make the first move since I hung around a large group of guys and most people would assume that one of them just had to be my boyfriend and I guess that was a fair assumption. So, I went into planning and scheming ways to meet this young man.

  • I tried the whole staring back at him. He would just look away.
  • I tried to stand close to him. He would just 'run away'
  • Every time he went to the bar for a drink, I was right behind or beside him and always said "Hi" to him. His eyes would get [ THIS BIG ] and he would turn and 'run' away.
  • We knew some of the same acquaintances at the bar so I would walk up and 'involve' myself in their conversations. Again with the running away.

Hmph. This was taking entirely too long for my impatient self!

Finally, I cornered him one night and got him to talk to me. It seemed we had a lot in common and we stayed well after closing to continue chatting. Eventually, and much later than a proper young lady like myself should be out, we parted ways. This routine of chatting and staying out way too late continued for several weeks. Then one evening, he walked me to my car and planted a kiss on me. Out of nowhere. Then he was gone. Yes. He ran away again. (see a common theme here?) He didn't even get my phone number! Athough, in all fairness, anyone who knew me knew where to find me on the weekends.

I was stunned. I immediately called my Mom. Yes, it was either very late or very early, depending on your view, but my Mother works nights so it was ok.

Me: Mom, how do you kiss a really tall guy? Like 6'6" tall?

Mom: Why?

Me: Just because...

Mom: Stand on the bumper of your car.

Me: Ok, thanks, bye.

We moved in together 6 months later and, as they say, the rest is history. We've been together for 6 1/2 years. Our wedding day is 4 days after our 7 year "anniversary". WOW! It's really been that long.

1 comment:

Reba said...

I remember that! I was still in Alabama when you called me and told me about the cute guy you just met! Geez... It has been a while.