Thursday, October 2, 2008

A Diamond in the Ruff

Back to the house shopping drama.

We were out bid on the PINK carpet townhouse. Which to me, is fine. I liked it but wasn't willing to pay THAT much for it. Not with all that work that Matt and I felt it needed.

We found another that was sold 2 days after being put on the market - before we could put an offer in. Yeh, it was that nice.

BUT! I have spied a gem. A gem that is sparkling just for me.

When Matt and I started our search, I found a property that had been on the market for well over a year and was very obviously over priced. This property immediately intrigued me. I had to know why its been there, empty and lonely, for so long. The lister told our agent that it was overpriced from the beginning and no one has shown any interest in it, but that nothing was wrong with it - as of the last time she'd been in it.

So Matt and I added this to our list of properties to visit. We did. I liked it. He didn't. We had just seen a fantastic property before that we both really really liked and I think we both dismissed this particular property. I've talked Matt into looking at it again.

You know how you get that feeling? The one you can't ignore? I've had it about this property from the day I found it on the internet.

Now that we're a little more seasoned as house shoppers, I feel we've overlooked a real gem here. We know that it has some water damage in one bedroom - which I'm assuming is a roof issue (we're having an inspection this Saturday) But there is nothing else wrong. It has new kitchen appliances, fresh paint and the flooring is in great condition. Considering the time that its been on the market, with no interest, we are considering making a "low-ball" offer with documentation of the damage. The worse they can say is "No", right? If we get this place at the right price - at the price I'm tossing around my mind - it would be easy to fix the roof/water damage and land ourselves a nice home and investment property. (Assuming the financial and housing market ever - even kind of - recovers)

Maybe it won't work out...maybe it will.

2 comments:

Delora said...

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, and hope that you're able to find "The One;" be it this property or another one that comes along.

Lumpyheadsmom said...

Ooooh, exciting. Good luck!