Thursday, May 28, 2009

Reading


This evening during dinner conversation with Matt, he mentioned a book he wants to read. I instantly became envious of this desire and made the comment "I wish I could read". Which he replied "What? Did you forget how"?

(Huff)

ANYWAY.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to read but a few books in their entirety over the past several years. There was a time I would devour most anything someone put in front of me but I seem to have lost my reading "groove". I miss it and wish I could find the spark again.

I've tried many different authors and genres thinking my tastes had changed. I've tried forcing myself to keep going but always end up quitting half way through once I realized that I'd seen the words but hadn't paid attention to what they were saying and was hopelessly lost. I've tried reading in bed, on the weekends, in a different room from my husband, outside, rainy days only, etc. I'm at a loss.

I would really like to reacquaint myself with my old friend but have run out of ideas. Do you have any suggestions?

4 comments:

Terry Orie said...

Read Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand, Lori. It's an engaging story and very pertinent to today's economic world.

Just "do it" and allow yourself to enjoy your time with the story. In today's speak - be present to the story.

Enjoy!!

Jen said...

Are you looking for thought provoking reading (i.e.- Ayn Rand as suggested above) or mindless drivel that will make you laugh out loud? If you are looking for fun summer reading- try Jennifer Lancaster- she has a series of non fiction about her life. www.jennsylvania.com (her blog is funny too). I'll keep thinking and pass along suggestions to you.

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

(Hey! Terry comes here? Neat!)

Anyway, I agree with Terry. "Atlas Shrugged" is one of my favorite books. Ever.

That being said, it might not be the easiest way to ease back into reading.

You already know all of my favorites.

Have you read "Twilight" yet? That is totally easy to read.

Delora said...

Silly as it sounds, I'd say try some teen-genre books. Good ones have engaging characters, and the stories move along fairly quickly to appease teenage-ADD minds.

Holes - Louis Sachar
Freedom's Choice - Anne McCaffrey
Eragon - Christopher Paolini
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card (not really the teen genre, but follows the same principles and is basically my favorite book ever)