Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Impulse Art

Did I happen to mention the expensive purchase that Matt and I made on the Honeymoon, completely on impulse? No? Well, I’ll have to share that story now, won’t I?

We were bored one day on the cruise ship and decided to wander around for a bit. We came across an art gallery and became very enthralled in two paintings** in particular. We checked the prices and thought, “No, we couldn’t, not for that much” plus, they had “Sold” signs on them.

From that moment, we would wander down on a stroll around the boat and stare at our favorite paintings. The more we looked at them, the more we wanted them. I just couldn’t justify it.

(You see where this is going now, right?)

I knew they were holding 3 art auctions on the boat and I managed to avoid the first two. The last one, we wandered into (there’s a lot of wandering going on) after arriving too early for a wine tasting. And then, Karma happened! We walked into the art auction and they were removing the previous paintings and putting up ours. OURS! As a bonus, all auctions were starting at half price. I made my decision right then. I looked at Matt and asked him how much he would offer for each piece. His price matched mine and off I went – auctioning away. No one else bid against me so my first bid accepted. And those other people were lucky – I was ready for a fight.

After the signing of all pertinent documents, I looked at Matt and said, “HOLY SHIT – WE JUST BOUGHT ART! ON A CRUISE SHIP!"

They were delivered a couple of weeks ago and I’m still immensely pleased with our purchase. I love them. I think they are fun, cheesy, cool and different. Just like us. Abnormal. If nothing else, we can look back on these and wonder what on earth we were thinking. Although, I hope not. I hope we will look at them, giggle, and say, "Remember when...?"











My favorite is above and called "Pool Shark" and Matt's favorite is to the right and called "Olive Party.




**I call them paintings, but they are really limited edition lithographs of the original painting. Out of a possible 397, we received numbers 134 and 167. We can’t afford an original, although it would be really cool if we could. We also received Certificates of Authenticity and a brief biography of the artist, Michael Goddard. If you get a chance, check out his site.

No comments: