Sunday, March 16, 2008

Situated

Just checking in with a few tid-bits for everyone.

I arrived in Northern Virginia at 8:30am Saturday morning. The train ride up was uneventful and it didn't take long to get my car off the train and be on my way. I settled into my new apartment, found a place for breakfast and set off exploring, staying fairly close to the area between work and my apartment. Today I ventured much farther out and had a good time discovering new little towns and sites. (between the state road map I bought and my GPS unit, I never felt lost or worried). I found a few beautiful parks with breathtaking views and as I walked around, I had a feeling come over me that I couldn't ignore.

"This is right. As hard as it was to leave, this is where we are supposed to be right now and we will be happy here."

I know Matt will love it here. He's been talking about moving out of Florida for quite a while now. He's been ready for this change. I will be much happier when he finally makes the journey up so we can start settling in and planting roots.

On with the tid-bits:

1. I start work tomorrow at 7:30am. What? I have to get up to an alarm clock? Who says? Why?
2. I must really want this job, I ironed my pants. (remind to hire a presonal ironer when I get rich and yes, that is a word, I checked.)
3. Road names are hysterical here; Frying Pan, Pohick, Popes Head.... tee hehehehehehe
4. There are at least 3 other people from Florida living in my apartment building according to their license plates. Weird.
5. You thought I was joking when I said I was "buying 6 gallons of Publix diet Sweet Tea" didn't you? Silly internets, you don't know me very well, do you? Never under-estimate an addict. (I only bought 4 because that's all they had. I will be bringing up more when I come back from my visit).

6. I woke up at 6am last night freezing and very upset that I didn't have my toe warmer with me (aka: Matt). Thank goodness he talked me into bringing "Boyfriend" along.

(Matt bought me this space heater a couple of years ago for Christmas because I am perpetually cold. I told Matt that I didn't need him any longer since I had a new boyfriend that would keep me warm, hence the name, "Boyfriend.")

7. The mall here has a Target and a Wal-mart IN it. The mall has just become my favorite place.
8. I am SPOILED! I miss my big TV and Tivo/DVR. I had to watch TV on this itty-bitty thing that is the size of my (home) microwave and I couldn't rewind or fast-forward through commercials. My head almost exploded last night.

That's it for now. I'll try to remember to bring my camera the next time I go exploring and put up some pretty pictures (as pretty as they can get with my point and shoot). Wish me luck tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. I'll probably be all squirrelly in the head seeing as I haven't had to be up at that hour in a very long time. I see some adjusting in my future. You think?

1 comment:

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

What mall has a target in it?

I'll be right down.